Re: EOVERFLOW in isochronous mode

On Wed, 5 Jan 2011, Nitin Arora wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>
> So now, I have two options as per your mail.
>
> First:
> If I modify my device's firmware so what type of modification it should be.
> Shall I prevent device from sending pkt size of 1042 in isochronous mode ?
> Please elaborate.

Devices should _never_ send packets larger than the maximum packet
size.  Since the maximum packet size for this endpoint is 1024, the
device should never send a packet of length 1042.

> But I would like to mention that device belongs to third party and I
> cannot change its firmware
> and I want to handle this issue some how at the host side only.

There is no way to do what you want.  The device must be fixed.

> Second:
> At host side you said I have to handle this error at all levels, even
> if I handle
> the error at all levels, but PORTSC connection bit reports 0 i.e. no
> device connected then
> how do I prevent that.

You cannot prevent it.  There is no way the host can stop the device
from disconnecting itself.

> Because even if I handle the error but
> disconnection happens it stops
> streaming, so whatsoever handling I implement it should prevent this
> disconnnection
> Can you plz give me some pointers to do so.
>
> Further I don't even know from which side disconnect is initiated, Can
> u plz suggest some method to
> find it out. ?

It is initiated by the device.

Alan Stern