Re: support for TIOCSERGETLSR in ftdi_sio

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 09:24:07PM +0100, W. de Hoog wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a set of (closed source) programs running on ubuntu linux
> that seem to need support for TIOCSERGETLSR in the ftdi_sio module.
>
> What I notice is that the programs work using a normal serial port
> but fail when using a USB serial port. Output of strace suggests it
> keeps on calling ioctl with TIOCSERGETLSR. It probably wants to know
> if it's data is sent.

It uses LSR to see if the data is sent?  That's a bit strange, but ok.

> In the header file (ftdi_sio.h) I see a definition of FTDI_RS_TEMT
> which could be read from byte 1 from the IN EndPoint.
>
> Is it possible someone point me to information on where I can learn
> how to get hold of such an EndPoint? Or is there another way this
> functionality (detect all data is actually sent) can be implemented?

No, that wouldn't really work.  What you need is the real TIOCSERGETLSR
support added to the driver, as it currently doesn't support it.

Or you can go get a different device, as a few other usb to serial
devices do support TIOCSERGETLSR already.  Those would be ones
controlled by the io_edgeport, mos7840, and mos7720 drivers.

Hope this helps,

greg k-h