Re: The dmesg files requested

On Fri, 10 Dec 2010, Jon 'maddog' Hall wrote:

> Alan,
>
> >You should plug the device into one of the USB-3 sockets, then after 10
> >seconds or so start a trace, then click on "Safely remove drive", and
> >then after 10 more seconds unplug the device.  At that point stop the
> >trace and begin a new one.  For the second trace, plug the device back
> >into the same socket as before, and when nothing happens try plugging
> >it into the other USB-3 socket.
>
> Compressed tar file per your request.

Okay, very good.  This shows exactly what the "Safely remove drive"
button does:

	The drive is unmounted;

	A "spin-down" command is sent (obviously it doesn't do anything
	for a flash drive);

	A SYNCHRONIZE CACHE comand is sent, perhaps as part of the
	unmount procedure;

	The USB port is suspended and then immediately resumed (no
	idea why);

	The device is set to config 0, i.e., unconfigured;

	The USB port is suspended again (no idea why);

	The USB port is disabled, presumably by writing to the "remove"
	sysfs attribute;

	The port status is read; it shows connected but not enabled.

Two seconds later the root hub suspends.  Sarah, how good is the
bus_suspend support in this version of xhci-hcd?

There is no hint in the traces of the device being unplugged and
plugged back into the same port.  Apparently the suspended root hub
does not generate a wakeup IRQ when that port's connect status changes,
although it does generate an interrupt when the device is plugged into
the second port (and the first port still shows a Connect-Change
status).

Maybe the port-disable messed up something related to IRQ generation
when the root hub is suspended; I don't know.  At this point I'm
handing the baton back to Sarah.

Alan Stern