Re: modeling hotplug usb host controller driver

--- On Mon, 12/6/10, Richard Retanubun <RichardRetanubun@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am trying to model a hotplug usb host controller that
> will cause a usb bus to appear/disappear
> from the system on the fly

Why "model" when you can do the real thing?

Host controllers have hotplugged forever.  The
simplest way to see this in action is to build
a host controller driver (maybe "ohci-hcd" if
you have OHCI hardware) as a module, and then use rmmod/modprobe.

You'll see the HCD's bus appear/modprobe or else
disappear/rmmod, and USB devices will enumerate.

If you have a hotpluggable host controller and
bus (Cardbus/PCI was the original platform) you
can try that too.  Same process, except you'd
also be doing electrical hotplugging not just
the driver module dance.

- Dave