Re: USB 3.0 support for laptop

Rahul Ruikar wrote:
> I have old Dell laptop with USB 2.0 support, now I want to study/test USB 3.0.
> could you please suggest ways to introduce USB 3.0 support for such
> laptop where I can use USB 3.0 compliant devices.
>
> one cheapest option I found is
> http://www.transcendusa.com/Press/index.asp?LangNo=0&PrsNo=1585&axn=Detail

Hi Rahul,

I have used the Transcend card at $work, and can verify that it does work with
Linux. It uses the NEC xhci controller chip, as do all of the ExpressCard USB
3.0 cards that we have tried so far.

One warning, though. All of the ExpressCard-equipped laptops we have tried have
only a 1-lane PCI-Express connection, and most of them (except for some newer
ones) are also PCIe 1.0, not 2.0. That means it is impossible to achieve the
full USB 3.0 throughput with them. The best we have seen is around 100 MB/s,
whereas on a desktop with a PCIe 4-lane and/or 2.0 connection we have seen over
300 MB/s.

But even at 100 MB/s, it is still a lot faster than USB 2.0.

--
Paul