Waiting for the current usb devices to be scanned, how?

Hello.

Is there a way to trigger or wait for all the _currently_
connected USB devices to be probed?

The most common case of this, I think, is when a system
is booting from a USB storage device.  Initramfs loads
the USB controller driver, which triggers USB device
scan and discovers and initializes usb-storage and other
devices.  But the discover is done after quite some pause,
definitely after modprobe of the USB controller module
returns.

Is there a way to determine that such a waiting/pause is
in progress, and actually wait for it to complete before
trying to see the storage devices we now have?

I understand the dynamic nature of USB (and actually other)
busses and devices, but at least the "current" device scan
is something more or less deterministic.

Thanks!

/mjt