Re: xhci: suspend/resume issues

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 01:22:20PM -0800, Sarah Sharp wrote:
> > > Hi Sarah,
> > >
> > > So I was poking around with it more, using suggestions from Matthew
> > > Garrett.
> >
> > Oh, one other thing, I am not sure I mentioned before.  When my machine
> > comes back from resume and is in that broken state, a software reboot
> > doesn't fix it.  I have to power cycle the box.
> >
> > Matthew was wondering if this is because the driver expects the chip to be
> > in a certain state during power up when it initializes the registers.
> > Suspending/resuming the chip could cause the registers to change state for
> > which the driver does not properly re-initialize?
>
> The xHCI driver tries to restore the registers after a resume, according
> to the instructions in the xHCI spec.  But in your case (and in all the
> boxes I have), the register restore fails.  So the driver halts, resets,
> and completely re-initializes the hardware.  I don't think the bug is
> there.
>
> Have you to tried to see if USB 2.0 devices work fine across suspend?

Actually, yeah I decided to try those to see what happens when they are
connected to the usb3 card.

- usb2 webcam
- usb2 pen drive
- <nothing>

in all the above cases the resume worked successfully.

So they only case that it doesn't work is when the harddrive is plugged
in.  And I still can't get the 'auto' thing working when this usb3 Buffalo
harddrive is plugged in (and not mounted).  Oh well.

> I'm only half-way through marking up the log, but it looks like the real
> issue is the device disconnecting on its own a short time after resume.
> I can fix any software bugs that appear because of that, but it really
> looks like you have a flaky USB 3.0 device.

I wouldn't doubt that it's flaky. :-)

Thanks,
Don