Re: matching a device with the socket

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010, Chris Frey wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When plugging in a device on Linux, I notice that the bus numbers and
> device numbers under /proc or /sys change each time it is plugged in.

If you plug a device into the same port, the bus number will be the
same each time (provided you don't reboot in between).  Device numbers
are assigned sequentially; they will be different every time.

> Is it even possible to determine which physical socket a device is
> currently plugged into?  Say, on a 5 port USB hub, can you tell which
> socket a device is plugged into?

We prefer to say "port" rather than "socket".  The port number is
fixed, but it's not related to the device number.  Instead the port
number is related to the device's sysfs path.  For example, a device's
sysfs path might be "/sys/bus/usb/devices/3-1.2" -- the last component
says (reading backward) that the device is plugged into port 2 of an
external hub, which is plugged into the computer's port 1 on bus 3.

Alan Stern