Re: Hercules Deejay Trim, "not enough bandwidth"

On Sun, 7 Nov 2010, Daniel Stöckner wrote:

> Am Sonntag, den 07.11.2010, 11:12 -0500 schrieb Alan Stern:
> > On Sat, 30 Oct 2010, Alan Stern wrote:
> >
> > > If you can change your program so that it starts the input stream
> > > before the output stream, it ought to work better.
> >
> > Any results?
> >
> > Alan Stern
>
> Tried some prominent examples (jackd, audacity, pulseaudio, ...) for the
> possibility to open the inputs first, but there doesn't seem to be
> anything.
>
> I think the best bid for me is to write a feature request for the
> rescheduling of the USB stream to the alsa developers (e.g. Takashi
> Iwai, the maintainer of snd-usb-audio.ko).

It's a peculiarity of EHCI that input streams with 580 bytes per frame
or more must be scheduled first.  In general USB works best when inputs
are scheduled before outputs.  However, even apart from that, the
existing scheduler is not as good as it should be.

Perhaps the best approach is always to retry with a different order if
the first attempt fails.

> But thank you debugging the
> problem! Couldn't have done it without your help!

You're welcome.

Alan Stern