Re: Wakeup from suspend with ati_remote?

On Thu, 4 Nov 2010, Florian Echtler wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-11-04 at 09:56 +0100, Oliver Neukum wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, 4. November 2010, 09:43:22 schrieb Florian Echtler:
> > > I'd like to wake up my PC from suspend using a X10 wireless remote,
> > > driven by ati_remote.ko. The receiver is connected to a hub along with
> > > an USB keyboard, and I can wake the machine using the keyboard, but not
> > > using the remote.
> > >
> > > Am I right to assume that this requires implementation of .suspend
> > > and .resume functions for struct usb_driver in ati_remote.c?
> >
> > Yes, you should also implement runtime power management.
> I admit I'm a bit confused now. Are the .suspend and .resume functions
> needed for the wakeup functionality, or are they more of a nice-to-have?

You don't need runtime PM for wakeup support.  What you _do_ need to do
is make sure that wakeup is enabled for both your device and the USB
host controller it is plugged into.  That is, the power/wakeup file has
to contain "enabled" in both the device's sysfs directory and the host
controller's sysfs directory.  (Actually, the fact that the keyboard
can wake up the machine indicates that the controller is already
enabled for wakeup, so you only need to worry about the device.)

Alan Stern