Re: USB storage and retrying commands which have timed out

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010, Toby Gray wrote:

>   On 15/09/2010 15:27, Alan Stern wrote:
> > On Wed, 15 Sep 2010, Toby Gray wrote:

> >> Thanks for pointing me towards that. Is there any reason why
> >> usb_stor_invoke_transport tries to reset the port before trying the
> >> class-specific reset method? Other than the extra 5 second wait on every
> >> timeout while it tries to send the Command Block Reset.
> > Because the class-specific reset almost never works and because Windows
> > doesn't use it.  As I mentioned in the previous email.
> Sorry, I didn't explain my question very well. My question probably
> should have been: as the class-specific reset almost never works, is the
> only reason to attempt it after a port reset has failed is because it's
> better than doing nothing? You're most recent response to Anand Gadiyar
> has answer this though.

"Better than doing nothing" pretty much sums it up.  If you can't reset
the device then you're stuck, one way or another.

> Coming back to the point you made in your original reply about why the
> BlackBerry fails to respond to TEST UNIT READY, it appears to be that on
> Windows, TEST UNIT READY queries are never sent to the device.

Not so.  I have logs taken using hosts running Windows 2000, Windows
XP, and Windows Vista, all containing TEST UNIT READY commands.

> Windows
> seems to use READ FORMAT CAPACITY followed by REQUEST SENSE to determine
> if media is present, but I'm going to have a look at this in more detail.
>
> Assuming that is what Windows does, would a better solution be to add a
> flag for faking TEST UNIT READY commands as a READ FORMAT CAPACITY
> followed by REQUEST SENSE (or however Windows seems to do it)? Or would
> you say that having a flag for trying class-specific reset first is a
> better solution?

The TEST UNIT READY commands get generated in a few different spots.
Changing them would be harder than adding a simple flag to usb-storage.

Alan Stern