Re: [BUG] 2.6.31.2 io_ti

On Fri, 6 Aug 2010, Chris Beauchamp wrote:

> I know this is quite an old message to follow up on, however I've hit
> this very problem with a Digi Edgeport/416 which used io_ti
>
> Something changed between Kernels versions 2.6.24 (which works as soon
> as you plug it in) and 2.6.27 (which makes you unplug it and plug it
> back in before it works) (corresponding to Ubuntu versions 8.04 &
> 8.10) however I've reproduced the problem with Fedora and using
> generic kernel.org kernel (up to 2.6.35-git3)

That's a little unclear.  Under 2.6.27 or later, suppose you plug it
in, unplug it, wait 10 seconds, then plug it in again.  Does it work?
What if you wait 60 seconds?  60 minutes?  3 days?  A year?  At what
point does the device stop working?

> Doesn't seem to be dependant on whether its on UHCI (Intel) or OHCI (nVidia).
>
> I can do usbmon traces, but what the best way of putting them up? The
> files are quite large...

You can post the files on a web site or an FTP server.  Or you can
compress them and attach them to an email message.

Besides, the files shouldn't be all that big if all you collect is the
data sent when the device is plugged in (it helps if you have no other
USB devices plugged into the same bus at the same time).

> from kernel logging (with debug on) I get similar to this repeated
> many times (again whole thing is quite large)

> drivers/usb/serial/io_ti.c: read_download_mem - ERROR ffffffb9

It beats me why the error value is printed in hex.  A quick calculation
shows that this is equal to -71, which indicates a problem in the
device.

> Would I be able to get some help in tracking down this problem

Make the usbmon logs available and we'll see.

Alan Stern