Re: [Libusb-devel] Chapter 9 tool for linux

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 10:49 PM, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Aug 2010, Xiaofan Chen wrote:
>
>> The reason I would like to use a refresh is to wake up the device
>> without opening it again.
>
> Why?  And if you do want to wake up a device, what's wrong with opening
> it?

Could the device go asleep after being opened? If yes, maybe
refresh the descriptor is a cheap way to wake up the device
if it can be achieved.

>> >Under Linux, a suspended device will be woken up as soon as
>> > libusb opens the device file.
>>
>> Then why libusb caches the descriptors if avoiding to wake up a
>> sleeping device is the goal?
>
> I don't know.  Are the descriptors cached even while the device file
> isn't open?

Probably Daniel and others can help answer the question. Maybe
the goal of caching the descriptors (after opening the device)
is not to save energy after all.

--
Xiaofan