Re: Why my usb mouse don't have report/physical descriptors

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 9:35 PM, Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> It would be nice that usbutils to be changed to automatically
>> detach and attach the kernel HID driver for HID descriptor dumping.
>
> It needs root permissions to accomplish this, so it's not something that
> I can add to usbutils directly.

But if you do not detach the kernel hid driver, even you run
lsusb as root it will not be able to dump the hid descriptors.
To retach the driver back, then you gain the mouse functionality back.

As for if it is good or not to have a udev rule to enable the access of
mouse/keyboard for normal users, that is another story. For other
HID device, probably it is not too bad.

--
Xiaofan