Re: Problem with change in xHCI Enumeration sequence

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 10:58:47AM -0500, Subs wrote:
> Dear all,
>
>  We are facing a problem with one of the legacy mouse that we have.
> The mouse is expecting the Get_Descriptor, while xHCI is sending the
> SET_ADDRESS command and hence, getting rejected.
> Is there a way to send the Get_Descriptor ahead of Set_Address
> command, in the xHCI driver

There is a way to set up the slot context in the xHCI host so that you
can send the get descriptor before the set address.  To be able to use
the control endpoint, the xHCI driver must issue an Enable Slot command,
followed by an Address Device command.  The Address Device command
automatically sends the set address control transfer to the device,
*unless* you set the Block Set Address Request (BSR) bit in the command
TRB.

However, the code to do this is not in the USB core or the xHCI driver.
There would need to be an API change to the address_device() API to tell
the xHCI driver whether the BSR command is needed.

Actually, I was waiting for someone to complain to see if anyone still
had a device that was broken in this way.  It may take me a while to
come up with a patch.

Sarah Sharp