RE: [RFC] USB 3.0 Hub Changes

> > I guess you could summarize these as: A device is physically attached
> > to the port but we want to pretend it's not there.  As far as I can
> > see, in almost all of these cases we don't want the device falling
> back
> > to high speed.
>
> Hmm, ok, it does look like we really want to ignore both the USB 3.0
> port and the USB 2.0 port in all these cases (except the safely remove
> hardware one which I don't understand).
>
> John, why did you think you needed to turn off disabling of USB 3.0
> ports?  Is it perhaps related to the call to disable the port in
> hub_activate()?  Andiry Xu made a patch to force the core to not
> disable
> a roothub USB 3.0 port in that call, so maybe you just need to add
> similar code for external hubs?  It's commit
> 9f0a6cd3ce34de5f9d34b5bf07e1b973a5cd2aa2.

Actually, I made the change from this commit independently, and it was part of this original patch I sent you a while back.  I then removed it when I merged to 2.6.35 since the check was already there.  It's been a while since I tested but I believe trying to disable a superspeed port will not succeed and the enumeration will fail.

According to USB 3.0 spec, PORT_ENABLE feature is not defined and disabling of superspeed ports are not supported.  See table 10-7 and page 10-69.

John