USB3 performance expectations

Hi Sarah,

My name is Don Zickus and I am going to be responsible for keeping USB and
friends happy in RHEL-6.  We were doing some performance testing with USB3
and notice it didn't seem to be as fast as some of the windows benchmarks.

I wanted to know what your expectations were for throughput with USB3
devices and controllers were, so I could communicate them if people
complained.

The USB components is mostly based on 2.6.32 + stable fixes to give you a
baseline.

We have been using 'hdparm -t' as our quick and dirty performance tool
with the usb3 harddrives we have.

Using a WD My Book 3 we get about 25MB/s throughput and a Buffalo HXU3
gets about 82MB/s.  Various test with Windows showed higher numbers, like
80MB/s and 102MB/s respectively.

Just trying to figure out if the bottleneck is a scsi or a usb problem.

Also it seems like USB3 is still going through a bunch of churn.  Any
heads up on good chunks to have or to look out for would be great to help
promote USB3 on RHEL-6.  Thanks!

Cheers,
Don