Re: USB 3.0 xHCI driver, devices are not detected

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 01:28:17PM +0200, Hoefle Marco wrote:
> Hello Sarah,
> sorry for writing directly to you but you might be able to give me an hint to get your xHCI driver working on a powerpc system.
> I already posted to the linux-usb list but I got a rejection email.

I have never tested the driver on a powerpc system.  I suspect that
since it's a big endian system, this has issues.  All the xHCI registers
are little endian, and the values in the data structures are supposed to
be little endian.  So the driver is probably writing backwards values to
the host controller, which would cause the hardware to be very confused.

I'm not sure I have time to work on a fix for this.  Do you think you
could make a patch?  Basically, any hardware register value or data
structure the hardware must use (slot context, device context, endpoint
context, endpoint rings, TRBs in the rings, etc.) must be written in as
a little endian value.  You would need to add a lot of cpu_to_le()
calls.

> I am trying the new USB 3.0 support in the latest git clone (git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git).
> I have a NEC based PCIe USB3.0 card plugged into a powerpc system (P1020EDB).
> The card is detected and the driver is loaded but usb devices are not recognized.
> After a few seconds this message is logged:
>
> xhci_hcd 0000:01:00.0: Timeout while waiting for a slot
> hub 1-0:1.0: couldn't allocate port 3 usb_device

Can you turn on CONFIG_USB_XHCI_HCD_DEBUGGING and send me the log?

Thanks,
Sarah Sharp