Re: Device not accepting address, error -110 and others

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010, Leandro Melo de Sales wrote:

> > If you return to the older kernel version, do the problems go away?
> >

> Yes!

> I have noticed many people having the same/similar problem, this is
> why I thought kernel developers already know this issue.

This sort of problem has been reported by many people.  Sometimes it
turns out that the USB device doesn't work right, sometimes the USB
cable or connection is bad, sometimes the USB hardware on the computer
isn't working, and sometimes the problem is caused by a part of the
kernel outside the USB stack.  Only rarely has it turned out that
something was wrong with the USB drivers.

> >> What should I have to do to find a solution for my case? This is
> >> happening with my laptop. I need to know if this could be a hardware
> >> problem, because my laptop is still under guarantee and if it is a
> >> hardware problem, I will contact the seller.
> >>      Please, any suggestion/tip will be greatfully accepted. Thank you!
> >
> > If you test several USB devices, and they all work on different
> > computers but fail on your laptop, then probably there's something
> > wrong with the laptop.
> >

> I have only a usb mouse plugged, and even when I don't have any device
> plugged I got the usb errors.

Probably your laptop has a built-in USB camera, or something like that.

> >> Kernel version:
> >> # uname -a
> >> Linux leandro-laptop 2.6.32-23-generic #37-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jun 11
> >> 08:03:28 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> >>
> >> Example of dmes output:

Let's see a complete dmesg log showing the entire boot-up sequence.

> > It's possible that this is caused by bad interrupt routing.  What shows
> > up in /proc/interrupts?  You could try booting with "acpi=off" or
> > "pci=noacpi" on the boot command line.
> >

> The current output for my /proc/interrupts are:
>
>            CPU0       CPU1
>   0:     659506     727717   IO-APIC-edge      timer
>   1:          5      13186   IO-APIC-edge      i8042
>   4:         29          8   IO-APIC-edge      serial
>   8:          1          0   IO-APIC-edge      rtc0
>   9:        625          4   IO-APIC-fasteoi   acpi
>  12:       1211         53   IO-APIC-edge      i8042
>  16:          1        160   IO-APIC-fasteoi   uhci_hcd:usb3
>  18:     113023          1   IO-APIC-fasteoi   uhci_hcd:usb8
>  19:          6        125   IO-APIC-fasteoi   ehci_hcd:usb1,
> uhci_hcd:usb5, uhci_hcd:usb7
>  21:          0          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   uhci_hcd:usb4, mmc0
>  22:        282       1590   IO-APIC-fasteoi   yenta, HDA Intel
>  23:        307        303   IO-APIC-fasteoi   ehci_hcd:usb2,
> uhci_hcd:usb6, ohci1394
>  26:      53117       2097   PCI-MSI-edge      ahci
>  27:          4       2608   PCI-MSI-edge      eth0
>  28:      79216          5   PCI-MSI-edge      i915
>  29:     120325     128748   PCI-MSI-edge      iwlagn

> Is it possible to take any conclusion for the content of my /proc/interrupts?

Not directly.  But maybe if we compare it with /proc/interrupts from
the earlier working kernel version, there will be an obvious change.

> I tried to boot with "acpi=off" and later with "pci=noacpi" but the
> errors continue... What error -110 means? any other clue?

-110 means timeout, that is, the computer did not receive a reply
from the device after 5 seconds.

Alan Stern