Re: PATCH: usb ehci debug port device gadget

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010, stephane duverger wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This is a patch that implements an USB EHCI Debug Device using the
> Gadget API. It does make use of "u_serial" to provide userland access.

Specifically, it emulates a Netchip debug device.  However it's not
clear to me why any emulation is needed at all.  Why not just use a
regular serial gadget as a debug device?

> The code is small and is inspired by other gadgets. As i don't have a
> significant experience in kernel development i think it should be
> rewritten (using composite ?!).
>
> The effective code is really small, but the main problem is that i was
> constrained to patch into the usb controller code to make it forward the
> USB_DEVICE_DEBUG_MODE feature to the gadget driver.

This wouldn't be needed if you used a regular serial gadget, would it?

Alan Stern