Re: USB Mass Storage Driver Question

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010, S I wrote:

> Hi Greg,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I have done copying memory using a driver to SATA hard drive. Basically by programming SATA Controller registers, doing DMA to write to the sectors of SATA hard drive. Doing this from a User application is completely out of question for my purpose.
>
> Now, I have to do it to a USB Flash Drive or USB Hard Drive. Logically, I think it is only a matter of getting access to device micro-controller (I guess) through USB Host Controller on my PC. I guess programming the USB Host controller should not be a problem (follow EHCI Spec.). But, issuing commands from USB Host Controller to device controller is something that I am not completely sure about.
>
> Will the communication between USB Host Controller and the controller on device follow same standard for all USB Flash/Hard drives available today?
> (like UASP or Bulk Only Transpot etc.)

To answer your question: Virtually all the USB flash drives and disk
drives available today use the Bulk Only Transport.  You have to look
pretty hard to find a UAS drive ("UASP" is not the correct name.)

(I strongly suspect you are underestimating the amount of effort
required to build your own EHCI driver.  Not to mention the other
driver layers you will need...)

Alan Stern