Re: USB Mass Storage Driver Question

A: No.

http://daringfireball.net/2007/07/on_top

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 02:54:14PM -0700, S I wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I have done copying memory using a driver to SATA hard drive.
> Basically by programming SATA Controller registers, doing DMA to write
> to the sectors of SATA hard drive. Doing this from a User application
> is completely out of question for my purpose.

But you said you "had" to do this without using any kernel interfaces,
how do you do that for a SATA device unless you are in the kernel?

And why do you have to do this?  What problem are you really trying to
solve here?  Why go around the operating system entirely?  One might
suspect you were trying to write a root-kit :)

> Now, I have to do it to a USB Flash Drive or USB Hard Drive.
> Logically, I think it is only a matter of getting access to device
> micro-controller (I guess) through USB Host Controller on my PC.

Nope, it's much more complex than that.

> I guess programming the USB Host controller should not be a problem
> (follow EHCI Spec.). But, issuing commands from USB Host Controller to
> device controller is something that I am not completely sure about.

You would have to emulate the whole ehci driver, as well as implement
the scsi stack to write scsi commands to the device.

> Will the communication between USB Host Controller and the controller
> on device follow same standard for all USB Flash/Hard drives available
> today?
> (like UASP or Bulk Only Transpot etc.)

Yes, it's really just SCSI.

good luck,