Re: Logitech harmony: lsusb shows bNumConfigurations==0

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010, Stephen Warren wrote:

> >> Sorry for the slow response. Adding the msleep() works!
> >>
> >> In Ubuntu Lucid kernel 2.6.32-21.32, I plugged in the remote 22 times,
> >> and 2 times it was detected properly.
> >>
> >> I rebuilt the same Ubuntu kernel package with that change, and plugged
> >> in the remote 22 times, and all 22 times it was detected properly.
> >>
> >> How should this fix be added to the quirk list?
> >
> > You should first find out how long the delay needs to be.  1000 ms is
> > probably an overestimate.  Try some smaller values.
>
> It looks like 200ms is the magic value; 150ms is obviously still broken,
> 175ms was bad 1 in 45 times (funnily enough the very first), and 200ms
> was good for 200 plug cycles across 2 different USB ports on my main laptop.
>
> This is all judging by whether the kernel plug messages indicate 1 or 0
> configurations found. I should probably test the modified kernel on a
> couple other laptops, and also not just for plugins, but also
> post-configuration-download reboot cycles. (Application level
> configuration.)

All right.  We could add a quirk indicating that the device needs a
delay before the Get-Device-Qualifier call.  I don't like the idea of
adding an unconditional delay; enumeration already takes too long.

Or more simply, we could add a quirk indicating that the kernel
shouldn't issue the Get-Device-Qualifier call at all.  The only reason
it's there is for printing a message in the log when a
high-speed-capable device isn't plugged into a high-speed port.

Alan Stern