Re: USB scsiglue does not work with Adaptec USBXChange + SCSI scanner

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010, Stanislav Brabec wrote:

> Hallo.
>
> I bought an Adaptec USBXChange USB to SCSI converter, found a firmware
> uploader patch and started to test it.
>
> SCSI Bernoulli disc works perfectly with the adapter but scanning on
> UMAX Astra 1200S hangs early.
>
> Reading large kernel logs I suspect that scanner transfers incomplete
> SCSI frames. They are converted to incomplete USB frames and it seems
> that they cause switching the kernel or the device into an erroneous
> state and never reach sane-umax using /dev/sg0 interface. The device
> starts to respond ENODEV.
>
> Attaching SG_IO as they were captured with strace with USB to SCSI
> converter and with PCI SCSI card.

The strace log doesn't contain enough information.  It would help to
see a usbmon trace of the same events (see
Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt).

> Tested on openSUSE's linux-2.6.31.12.
>
> Full kernel logs:
> http://www.penguin.cz/~utx/temp/usbscsi-scan-logs.tar.bz2
> http://www.penguin.cz/~utx/temp/usbscsi-scan-logs2.tar.bz2

Those logs contain an awful lot of "Medium not present" errors, so many
that they totally obscure the useful information.  You need to suppress
all those TEST UNIT READY commands during your test (they are probably
meant for other devices anyway).

Also, there's no information about what was happening when each of
those log files was created.

Alan Stern