Re: USB: cp210x: Add support for the DW700 UART

Op 16-06-10 21:19, Sylvain Lamontagne schreef:
>> You should not need any other driver, just read from the device through
>> the usb-serial port that userspace sees to get the GPS information.
>>
>> Have you tried that?
>
> Personally I have.
> I think that the reason why it doesn't work this way is because the
> chip for it is a BCM4750
> http://www.broadcom.com/products/GPS/GPS-Silicon-Solutions/BCM4750
> that *I think* need another positioning source as well as the GPS.
> (Wireless with skyhook ?)
I highly doubt it. The GPS works fine even if there is not internet
connection (and no wifi network around). It just works a bit faster if
it can download the satellite positions (LTO's) beforehand.

> It may not be the case, but opening the /dev/ttyUSB0 identified as it
> by dmesg with about all the standard baud rate that I know failed to
> get me NMEA in minicom.
>
> I've also try to let gpsd and gpsctl deal with it using the
> autodetection feature:
> gpsctl -e /dev/ttyUSB0
> gpsctl: packet recognition timed out.
>
> I also have at hand a small microsoft S&T gps receiver recognize as a
> pl2303 that work perfectly.
> gpsctl -e /dev/ttyUSB1
> gpsctl: /dev/ttyUSB1 identified as a Generic NMEA at 4800
>
> In Windows it seems that the serial port associated with the cp210x
> module cannot communicate NMEA string in hyperterminal but a Virtual
> COM port is able to output it...
Do not mistake, in Windows, there is a fake NMEA GPS on com4, which
agglomerates wifi and GPS info. The actual GPS is on com3, and uses a
special protocol (which you can observe by using a serial port sniffer app).

Cheers,
Eric