Re: maxtor usb-storage not working

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010, Randy Dunlap wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 18:56:37 -0400 (EDT) Alan Stern wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 14 Jun 2010, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > My Maxtor USB drive (very early USB 2.0 storage drive) isn't working on
> > > any recent kernels.
> > >
> > > Does anyone have hints or suggestions for it?

> > Suggestion: Acquire a usbmon log showing what happens when you plug in
> > the drive (see Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt).
>
> Hi Alan,
>
> usbmon.txt refers to usbdump and USBmon tools.  Where can I find them?
> Could (should) that info be added to the usbmon.txt file?

Maybe; Pete Zaitcev is the person who takes care of that file.  I
suspect those references are out of date.  However it might be a
good idea to include a pointer to the binary usbmon package available
on Pete's web page, and to mention that Wireshark is capable of
collecting data using usbmon directly.

> Here is the log of usbmon/0u.  I'll work on decoding it, but if anyone
> else can see the problem, please let me know.

As far as I can see, the problem is that the drive is broken.  The log
doesn't show it responding to any SCSI commands at all.  Does it work
on any computer (running any OS)?

Alan Stern