selection of usb configuration on the fly on usb host

Hi ,

i am working on linux usb host side  .

the interfacing usb device supports 2 usb configurations .

default is 1) mass storage .

other is 2) vendor specific configuration .

if we connect such device to usb host ,

is it possible to have the following :

1)  usb core queries device for total no of configurations supported .

and then instead of selecting the first default mass storage
configuration from  the device ,

usb core  notifies  some user space program regarding usb
configurations  available

and depending upon user input  to user space program ,

mass storage configuration or the vendor specific configuration is
selected from user space .

how we can select on the fly from user space program the desired usb
configuration from a multi

configuration usb device . what user space interface we can use . and
what modifications

need to be done in usb core .

Regards
Amit Nagal