Re: Query - resetting and reenumerating root-hub

Hi Anand,

Gadiyar, Anand wrote:
> Alan Stern wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 7 Jun 2010, Gadiyar, Anand wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> On the OMAP3, we have a new hardware bug that causes the
>>> EHCI controller to lock up under heavy stress. The only
>>> known way to recover is to soft-reset the controller.
>>>
>>> I'm trying to implement some kind of recovery mechanism
>>> for the ehci-omap driver. Is there a way to inform the
>>> USB core that the root-hub and down-stream devices have
>>> been reset and need to be re-enumerated?
>>>
>> There's usb_hc_died().  It tells the core that the controller has
>> stopped working.  The core then removes all devices below the root hub
>> and marks the root hub as non-operational (the state is set to
>> USB_STATE_NOTATTACHED).  But there is no re-enumeration; from that
>> point on the root hub is unusable.
>>
>> This may not be exactly what you want.  Perhaps a better match would be
>> usb_reset_device(), but that routine specifically excludes root hubs.
>> You might be able to adjust it in some way, though.
>>
>> Another alternative is simply to unregister the hcd and then
>> re-register it.
>>

> (Sorry, hit send before completing the mail)
>
> Thanks! As a quick test, I built the driver as a module. And
> in the remove path, we soft-reset the controller anyway.

as I was the one who originally reported this problem, I can tell you
that soft-reset of EHCI is not enough. I had to reset UHH to recover -
sometimes losing EHCI for good, but I guess that was something else in
the end.

(I assume we are discussing the issue "Advisory 3.1.1.198 USB Host EHCI
May Stall when Running High Peak-bandwidth Demanding Use Cases" from
http://www.ti.com/litv/pdf/sprz278e).

Regards,

Alexander