Re: [RFC 0/2] UVC gadget driver

Hi Robert,

On Monday 03 May 2010 10:29:17 Robert Lukassen wrote:

> > > Ah.  So your's has the advantage of being able to do what his does as
> > > well, right?
>
> Our driver has been developed with an explicit goal of being 'transparent'
> for user-land. When an application uses a double-buffered framebuffer
> device for rendering, ALSA for sound playback and the linux input
> framework for input, then it just works. We have in the past also used a
> V4L2 like API on the video function, but stepped away from it as the
> framebuffer usually is uncached, and reading from the framebuffer is slow.
> In the approach you suggest, you'll have to memcpy() from a mmapped
> framebuffer to the V4L2 buffer. In the kernel driver, you'll have a copy
> of the data from the V4L2 buffer to the payload buffers. In the driver
> we've posted, data is copied from the framebuffer using an ordinary
> memcpy(), but for specific devices we've replaced that with a DMA memory
> copy. In that situation, the CPU doesn't do any copying of data and impact
> of streaming out video to a host is very low.
>
> Laurent's driver is more generic, our's has been tuned to low impact/high
> performance. I believe there is value in both approaches, but if you want
> to avoid to have two function implementations of the same device class it
> would be right to favour Laurent's generality over our tuning.
>
> Please let me know if you still want me to post a patch for f_vdc as a
> separate function implementation.

I think having both drivers in mainline makes sense. Robert, do you think some
of the code could be shared between both drivers, or are they too different ?
We could at least put the UVC probe/commit stream request structure in
linux/usb/video.h. The descriptor structures should probably be moved there
too.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart