Re: Logitech harmony: lsusb shows bNumConfigurations==0

On Fri, 30 Apr 2010, Stephen Warren wrote:

> Linux is having problems fully recognizing one of my USB devices, a
> Logitech Harmony 700 universal remote control. I also have a Logitech
> Harmony 880 (and other USB devices) which work fine on the same PC and
> USB connector.
>
> The issue is that lsusb shows bNumConfigurations=0. There should be one
> configuration with a couple of end-points. Sometimes lsusb will show the
> expected results (e.g. 1 in 10-20 times it's plugged in) and
> communication with the remote works as expected. Also, the 770 has a
> special "safe mode" (which boots alternate firmware), and when in this
> mode, lsusb always shows bNumConfigurations=1 as expected.
>
> I've tried a couple different kernels without any luck: 2.6.32 (Ubuntu
> Lucid latest desktop kernel) and 2.6.34 (Ubuntu Lucid build of
> "upstream" kernel, I believe without any Ubuntu patches)
>
> I'm attaching a variety of debug information:

The usbmon traces show that the device sometimes dies when it receives
a Get-Device-Qualifier request.  Not always, but sometimes.

I have no idea why it would do this.  A firmware bug would generally
cause it to die every time, but there's no other obvious explanation.
Particularly since the alternate firmware does not die; it handles the
request correctly.

Alan Stern