Re: System crashes when usb_free_streams API used

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 8:42 PM, Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 03:02:57PM +0530, Ramya Desai wrote:
>> Dear Experts,
>>
>> My system crashes when I use the usb_free_streams API in my driver
>> code. The usb_free_streams API is executed correctly without any
>> issue, but after some time, around 1 minute, I saw the trace when I
>> type dmesg. If I comment this API, there is no crash and I am able to
>> all the operations with my driver. I am using the usb_alloc_streams
>> API in the driver initialization routine (probe method, when device
>> inserted) and usb_free_streams API in the driver exit routine (release
>> method, when device removed).
>>
>> I am working on Ubuntu with 2.6.34-rc2 kernel. It also crashes in
>> 2.6.32 kernel version. I do not understand, why it crashes when I use
>> the API.
>>
>> Any ideas / suggestions are greatly appreciated.
>
> Can you duplicate this without the closed source, nvidia driver loaded?

Dea Greg,

The driver seems to be working fine and there is no system crash when
I comment the API named, xhci_free_streams_info(), in the
xhci_free_streams() routine which is defined in the xhci.c file. This
is because, the same API is called from xhci_free_virt_device()
routine which is defined in xhci-mem.c file. When it is called twice,
I saw the following messages (3 times) in the kernel log.

xhci_hcd 0000:06:00.0: dma_pool_free xHCI input/output contexts,
7269762f/6c617574 (bad dma)

If I do not call usb_free_streams API, the xhci_free_streams_info() is
called only one time from the from xhci_free_virt_device() routine.
This time, I did not see any "bad dma" messages in the kernel log. So,
I just commented the xhci_free_streams_info() API call in the
xhci_free_streams() routine. After, commenting this, every thing seems
to be working fine.

Please let me know If this is the right way of doing it.

Thanks and Regards,
Ramya.