Re: storage device enumeration

Please always use Reply-To-All so your messages end up on the mailing
list.  And don't top-post.

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010, maptex wrote:

> thanks Alan, it is the best solution but in our case
> the system is already running and configured, we have designed
> a script that configure old system to "copy" the old configuration to
> the new in the migration proccess. If i want to use labels y must
> label the already running filesystem, modify configuration files
> (like fstab), etc. during the migration proccess.
> As I can see labeling is the best solution, but it requires a more
> complicated script to migrate configuration. If I can find a low level
> configuration to guide kernel to assign usb kernel names for
> devices, i will not need to complicate the script.

You can use udev rules to assign device names or links.  I'm not sure
whether it will work before the root fs is mounted, however -- the name
the kernel uses for finding the root filesystem isn't really the actual
device name as it appears in /dev.

There's no other way to assign particular names to individual devices.

Alan Stern