storage device enumeration

I have an appliance booting 2.4 from flash drive (/dev/hda1)
wirh a usb storage device mapped as /dev/sda.
I need to boot this appliance using a pendrive with kernel
2.6 and a new root filesystem on pendrive. the storage device
must be the same (/dev/sda) on both running systems.
Configuring the boot program (lilo) to boot new kernel image
and mount root filesystem from pendrive, result that the
troot fs is at /dev/sdb (mass storage at /dev/sda). The problem
i found is that when booting from pendrive, the usb mass storage
is recognized as /dev/sdb and the pendrive as /dev/sda, this makes
it impossible to mont root fs, as it is configured to be /dev/sdb, that
is not the pendrive.

Any ideas on how to direct the kernel to map usb devices on 2.6
the same as in 2.4?

thanks