Re: Help newbie second usb mouse

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 03:37:41PM +0200, Karin Pavjlik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Im' a newbie, trying to program my first driver. I'll try to make an
> additional driver for the second USB mouse plugged into my laptop
> (genius netscroll+).

Hm, why?  Does the in-kernel driver not already work for you?

> Please:
>
> a) When I hotplug my netscroll, it instantly behaves like a mouse. I
> want to disable this second mouse behavior to try my driver. I suppose
> it is embedded in the kernel usb mouse driver, because it works with gpm
> in text-mode. How do I disable the second mouse from behiving like a
> mouse?

Unbind it from userspace through sysfs if you really want to do this.
Or make the usbfs ioctl call to disable it.  Either will work.

> b) Where is the current usb mouse driver source code for this?

usbhid.

> c) any tips? I'm reading the oreilly book.

What exactly are you trying to do?  There are already drivers for your
device written (one very complete, one tiny) in the kernel tree, so
rewriting them, while fun, might not be needed :)

thanks,

greg k-h