Re: System hangs when using USB 3.0 HD with on Ubuntu

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 4:05 PM, Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Since the drive doesn't even show up as a block device when connected
>> to the USB 3.0 port I can't run that command for the device directly.
>
> That means it does not show up, or it disappears after something is
> trying to do something with it. If it does not appear at all, we don't
> need to look in userspace, I guess. :)

I assume it is there for a very brief moment but then disappears.

> What are your rules trying to do with hdparm on the drive, that seems
> rather odd to apply to a USB device:
>  RUN '/lib/udev/hdparm' /lib/udev/rules.d/85-hdparm.rules:2

Why would you think so? From the hdparm man page:

"Many newer (2008 and later) USB drive enclosures now also support
"SAT" (SCSI-ATA Command Translation) and therefore may also  work
with  hdparm."

-Jonas