Re: ehci_hcd: fatal error, HC died with usbaudio

Hi Alan,

On Tue, 2010-03-30 at 11:26 -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> What version of the kernel are you using?  Have you tried using the
> most recent release?

I was using 2.6.30, and had tried 2.6.33 in the past just to see if that
fixed it (no luck).  I re-tested today using the latest git tree
(2.6.34-rc2).  Results below.

> The fact that you're doing isochronous I/O to a full-speed device
> through a high-speed hub complicates matters.  This is the one area
> where ehci-hcd still has significant problems.

I was aware of this, but somehow I convinced myself I had this working
on a similar setup last year.  Though now I'm worried that it was
actually still dying and just fellback to OHCI and so I didn't notice.

> Each of these should produce 2 seconds of silence, right?  24*8000
> bytes = 48000*2 samples (with 2 bytes/sample) = 2 seconds (at 48000
> Hz, mono).

Correct!

> These messages indicate that the controller failed, but they don't say
> what the reason for the failure was.

True -- one other clue I just verified is that "lspci -vv" on the EHCI
controller *after* the HC dies reveals "<TAbort+".  Bogus DMA address
perhaps?

> Those events are merely cancellations of input URBs (although the
> start_frame and actual_length values don't make sense).  According to
> the interval values, similar input URBs should show up in a full usbmon
> trace every 64 milliseconds.

Thanks for the explanation.  I do see these every ~64 milliseconds in my
trace.

> Use the most recent kernel version you can.  Post the complete usbmon
> traces, not just the last few entries.  To reduce the size of the
> output, you could play only 200 ms of silence instead of 2 seconds.

OK, I did all of this today on the latest kernel and got similar
results.  One difference I noticed is that the failure happens the first
time I play audio with 2.6.34-rc2, rather than failing the second time.

Full usbmon trace here (for 250ms of silence):
http://xes-inc.com/sources/debug/usbmon-ehci-dies-2.6.34-rc2.txt

other debug output + usbmon output
http://pastebin.com/DwKWihUB

Thanks