Re: System hangs when using USB 3.0 HD with on Ubuntu

Alan Stern wrote:
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010, Sarah Sharp wrote:

I think the amount of information is fine, but I'm not sure why the
device would respond with a stall to this particular command, so I'm
CC'ing the USB storage list and SCSI list.  Does anyone know what the
third command is?  The USB storage driver reports it as an "unknown
command".  I can see from scsi.h that 0x85 is the code for ATA_16, but
I'm not sure what that command actually does.

I have never heard of any kernel driver issuing either the BLANK command or an ATA_16 pass-through command. It almost certainly is a user program doing this, but I don't know which one.

Booting into a minimal userspace environment (for example, with init=/bin/bash) might prove this.

No doubt the reason the drive fails to respond is because it can't handle these commands and gets fatally confused.

The ATA commands seem to be:
   IDENTIFY DEVICE  (via the ATA_12 tunnel)
   SET FEATURES     (via the ATA_16 tunnel)
   IDENTIFY DEVICE  (via the ATA_16 tunnel)

The last one fails but that could be caused by
the second last one. Doesn't look like smartd.
My money would be on udev.