Re: System hangs when using USB 3.0 HD with on Ubuntu

Sarah Sharp wrote:
On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 07:07:58PM +0100, Jonas Schwertfeger wrote:
On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 4:59 PM, Sarah Sharp
<sarah.a.sharp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Despite the fact that this device probably won't work for 2.6.31 or
2.6.32, the xHCI driver shouldn't be hanging the system.  The reset
device API probably shouldn't be back ported to those kernels, but I can
allow the USB core to disable the device's port instead.
In 2.6.31 the drive would show up as /dev/sdb and be mountable. The
system froze when I mounted it and then tried to partition it. In
2.6.32 however the drive does not even show up in /dev/. Thus, I
cannot reproduce a system hang here.

Hmm, ok, I would rather figure out why 2.6.31 is hanging, since 2.6.32
does not.  Can you compile the latest 2.6.31 stable tree and use
netconsole to capture the crash with CONFIG_USB_XHCI_HCD_DEBUGGING and
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_DEBUG turned on?  (I assume you know how to use
netconsole, but if you don't, I've posted how I setup netconsole at
http://sarah.thesharps.us/2010-03-26-09-41)

I configured USB storage debugging and attached another log file. If
there is not enough information in it let me know I will proceed with
Alan's suggestion of using usbmon.

I think the amount of information is fine, but I'm not sure why the
device would respond with a stall to this particular command, so I'm
CC'ing the USB storage list and SCSI list.  Does anyone know what the
third command is?  The USB storage driver reports it as an "unknown
command".  I can see from scsi.h that 0x85 is the code for ATA_16, but
I'm not sure what that command actually does.

ATA commands are being tunnelled through SCSI commands
as defined in section 12.2 of this draft:
http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=f&f=sat2r09.pdf
[The access control page will accept most anything in its
fields.]

In the case of the SCSI ATA PASS-THROUGH 16 (i.e. ATA_16)
command (opcode 85(hex) in the first byte) the tunnelled
ATA command code is the second last byte (e.g. "ec" on
the command that seemed to crash).

Doug Gilbert