Re: usb resume errors

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010, Sriram V wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 1) I use 2.6.29 Kernel.

That's around a year old.  You should use a newer kernel.

> 2) I use a SMSC 3320 PHY to which a hub is connected. I have 2 devices
> on the hub. My host is omap ehci.
> 3) When i  suspend-resume the usb device i get the error "I get an
> error "PM: Device 1-2.2 failed to resume: error -19"
> 4) I am not really sure why i get this - After resume, Both the
> devices get re-enumerates and i can access them.
> 5) To get it working on this PHY what i do i resume path is i reset
> the PHY and then the HUB and i have disabled
>     CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND.

Maybe you shouldn't reset the phy and the hub.  Why do they need to be
reset?  Don't they get sufficient suspend power while the system is
asleep?

> 6) I have done phy and hub reset both in resume path of the ehci
> resume of ehci-omap.c. Is there a better place to do hub reset in
>    suspend-resume?

Even if you do need to reset the phy, you probably don't need to reset
the hub.

> 7) Also, I have applied a patch found at
>   http://e2e.ti.com/support/arm174_microprocessors/omap_applications_processors/f/42/p/29363/102101.aspx#102101
>

> However whats bothering me are the messages during suspend-resume.
> Not sure why usb_dev_resume return -19.

Undoubtedly it's because you reset the hub.  That destroys the USB
sessions, preventing the devices from resuming, and forcing them to
re-enumerate instead.

Alan Stern