Re: usbserial usage

Hi,

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 16:06:01 -0800
Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 01, 2010 at 01:15:54PM +0300, Dave Milter wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have device, that implement Communication Device Class.
> > And want to connect it to my machine. On Windows give system proper
> > inf file with
> > vendor and product id, I was abble to communicate with device using
> > virtual com port and hyperterminal.
> >
> > Now I want to use it on linux. But the problem is that there are
> > already several devices connected to my machine,
> > that use usbserial indirectly.
> >
> > If I remove pl2303,ftdi_sio,usbserial, then run
> > insmod usbserial vendor= product=
>
> Ick, never do that.  You NEVER want to add a new device id to the
> usbserial core, if you ever see anyone suggest you do that, it is flat
> out wrong.

Sorry for asking a maybe FAQ:
Why you should *never* add a new device id to the usbserial core?
Of course, if there is a special driver for the device, use that.

But if all you want and need to do is to use a single pair of bulk
endpoints, then why not use the generic driver?
What is the alternative? It is easier than using libusb and provides
a common interface.

Greetings
Andreas Kemnade