Re: question: mixing synchronous and asynchronous urb calls

>and lots of others as well. These aren't out of order since there was
>no relative order specified between the two threads. But they are
>intermingled.

Understood. By out-of-order, I meant programmer's intent, or what the device
requires to operate properly.

>> Can problems occur from unsynchronized messages to different endpoints?
>Of course they can. Devices can be very finicky about their
>requirements; if you violate those requirements then a device might do
>anything.

Also understood. Device-specific behavior aside, I thought I'd ask because
Oliver specifically restricted his reply to the case of the same endpoint,
though I would think any restrictions would be looser in the case of differing
endpoints.

>The host won't experience any problems from unsynchronized messages.
>Only the device will.

As it happens, I now find my host sometimes crashes. The problem appears to
be a coding error (not surprising :-) that is unrelated to my (mis)use of
usbcore. But I filled in some big knowledge gaps. Many thanks again Alan,
others.

>So change your driver to avoid calling usb_bulk_msg() until after the
>callback for that previous control message.

But I'm looking for a quick fix :-) Otherwise I'd be rolling up my sleeves,
instead of bugging the list.

Rolling up my sleeves...

Mike

----