Re: Question: USBserial suspend/resume issue

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 04:19:55PM -0600, X Zhang wrote:
> The issue I have is:
> If I start a program which open the port of /dev/ttyUSB1 and
> /dev/ttyUSB2 and then suspend PC (s2ram --force) and resume, I will
> see
> /dev/ttyUSB0
> /dev/ttyUSB3 instead of /dev/ttyUSB1
> /dev/ttyUSB4 instead of /dev/ttyUSB2
>
> I didn't close /dev/ttyUSB1 and /dev/ttyUSB2 before PC suspend and my
> goal is NOT to close these ports before suspend and, of course, keep
> the port communication work after resume.

.
.
.

> So I think I still need to work on the driver.
>
> I noticed drivers/usb/serial/generic.c doesn't have suspend and resume
> function. so I added as below.
> static struct usb_driver generic_driver = {
>         .name =         "usbserial_generic",
>         .probe =        generic_probe,
>         .disconnect =   usb_serial_disconnect,
>         .id_table =     generic_serial_ids,
>         .suspend =      usb_serial_suspend,  ==> call usb-serial.c's
> usb_serial_suspend
>         .resume =       usb_serial_resume,   ==>  call usb-serial.c's
> usb_serial_resume
>         .no_dynamic_id =        1,
> };
>
> But still no luck. The result is the same.

Definitely sounds like you want to implement .reset_resume.
These links should help:

. http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/usb/power-management.txt
. reset_resume http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-usb-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg55788.html
. http://www.opensubscriber.com/message/linux-usb-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/7178380.html
. http://osdir.com/ml/linux.bluez.kernel/2008-09/msg00002.html
. http://marc.info/?l=linux-usb&m=121483894201937&w=2
. http://marc.info/?l=linux-usb&m=126020789127192&w=2

(guess why I had all these links ready for perusal?
Right, ftdi_sio is waiting for the same thing to happen)

And indeed, it's annoying as hell. ;)

> I badly need instruction on this issue! Really appreciate if you could
> provide any advice!

HTH,

Andreas Mohr