Problems and Error Logs with Option and Huawei 3G Modem

Hello,

i hope this is the right way to report an problem with the "option"
driver. I have got an small laptop Acer Timeline 1810TZ with an included
Huawei Modem EM770W. It is registered in the usb-subsystem with the
following entry:

002 Device 004: ID 12d1:1404 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.

The device is most of time working, but often it leads the modem
software like UMTSMON or knetworkmanager to hang an do not the right things.

I get a lot of kernel error logs from the "option" driver if i use this
device:

[ 7728.715228] option: option_instat_callback: error -2

And the very ugly think is, when i use the device it can cause the whole
system to crash. First my display is going black and after 3-5 seconds
later the Laptop is turned off, or is doing a hard reset. This happens
sometimes after some minutes or after some hours working in 3G mode.

I tested this with Kernel 2.6.31, 2.6.32 and now with 2.6.33rc3. Same
behaviour. It also not distribution specific, tested with openSuSE and
Ubuntu 9.10. No kernel errors are reported during/after the system reset.

I do not know if this behaviour has to do with the "option" driver, but
it only happens if i use the 3G modem. I have send the Laptop to Acer to
check for an hardware related problem, but they doesn't have found
anything. The preinstalled operating system Windows 7 runs a whole day
in 3G mode without any problems, so it doesn't seems to be an hardware
failure.

Thanks for your help.
Patrick