Re: Linux Kernel USB Converter

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 04:19:38PM +0100, David Gonzalez wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i have a problem with USB converter and i will be  grateful if you can
> help me with this issue.
>
> We have a USB-Serial converter. 8 coms. each comX connected to one
> specific sensor. Normally, when we connect the USB-Serial to the PC,
> linux create /dev/ttyUSB0-7 perfectly.but , sometimes, without
> disconnect USB-Converter, kernel delete /dev/ttyUSB0-7 and create the
> next group /dec/ttyUSB8-15. Is there any way to refresh USB port? This
> also happen when the sw which open ttyUSBX port is running and the USB
> converter is disconnected and reconnected, kernel create new ttyUSBX.

First off, what kernel version are you using?

If userspace has a device node open, and the device goes away and then
comes back, yes, it will be assigned a new device node number, otherwise
it would not be a safe thing to do.

So please change your userspace application to properly responde to the
tty hangup signal and drop the device node.  Then, when the device comes
back, it will get the same device node and you can reconnect.

Or just use udev and its persistant device symlinks for usb-serial
devices, which should work just fine for this.

hope this helps,

greg k-h