Re: USB Gadget Driver query

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 10:12:25PM -0800, David Brownell wrote:
> On Friday 22 January 2010, Greg KH wrote:
> >
> > > The problem I'm trying to solve is when building a kernel for several
> > > different devices, then we have to keep on adding if
> > > (machine_is_xxxx()), and that only works on ARM-based kernel images
> > > afaict.
> >
> > Isn't the Device Tree stuff supposed to help solve this type of problem?
>
> You mean the OpenFirmware-derived thing, which is not
> really an option except on SPARC and PowerPC?

It is being ported to ARM and all other Linux platforms at the moment by
Grant.

> That's basically for hardware configuration.  The issues
> Felipe asked about are more at the software level.

This could also be specified in the device tree, as that is a
configuration issue for how the system is to be defined.

> Run a different kernel ... the same hardware should be
> able to come up acting like a very different USB device.

Exactly.

> But the hardware would be unchanged.  Same codecs hooked up
> in the same quirky ways; same GPIO wiring, same external
> chips on non-hotpluggable busses, same SoC peripherals
> hooked up (or not) ... no hardware changes.

True, that's what the device tree is for.

> FWIW, I'm no big fan of that tree thing either.  When
> it's used in the "flattened tree combined with kernel
> image" mode it's just an overly simplified -- and much
> less flexible!! -- version of a board-specific startup
> file, like an arch/arm/mach-xxx/board-yyy.c file; no
> real run-this-code hooks.  (OpenFirmware at least had
> FORTH code associated with each device node ... in the
> same way that ACPI has AML bytecode.  But that's not C
> code from the operating system.)  If it's part of boot
> code in flash or ROM, it's fragile and hard to fix.
>
> In both cases it has all the drawbacks of ACPI's device
> trees, in terms of needing to evolve and maintain data
> apart from the drivers manipulating it.  Combined with a
> fair amount of requirement for committee design (faugh!)
> to come up with details of those data tables.

Then I suggest you work with Grant to resolve the issues :)

thanks,

greg k-h