Re: Simple USB raw data drivers or APIs

--- On Thu, 1/14/10, Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Simple USB raw data drivers or APIs
> To: "Ron Madrid" <ron_madrid@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Cc: linux-usb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Thursday, January 14, 2010, 3:50 PM

> my
> > > board.
> > >
> > > Yes, if the existing ones do not work with your
> hardware.
> >
> > I take it you are talking about the ethernet and
> serial ones?
> > If not I don't know what you mean by existing ones?
>
> No, I mean a usb gadget controller driver for your MPC8313
> based board.

OK, do you mean fsl_usb2_udc.c?  That works with my board.
I am also able to build g_zero and install it and see a
response from the freescale driver.

fsl-usb2-udc: bind to driver zero

So are you saying that I don't need a driver to sit on top
of that one like with g_zero?  Sorry if this is a stupid
question.  I'm new to this.

> > I was under the impression that after calling send()
> or recv()
> > ethernet packets get assembled with the data and these
> would
> > then be put into the urbs.  Am I wrong?
>
> No, that's correct, why is that a problem?
>
> > > Have you tried the serial one?
> >
> > I have not.  But I think I'll give it a go.
> Worst case it'll
> > be a good exercise.
> >
> > I'm mostly worried about speed.  I just want to
> be able to dump
> > data as quickly as possible.  If the ethernet or
> serial drivers
> > are just as fast as writing my own I can go with
> those, but I
> > don't know if that is the case.  If there are
> speed benefits
> > from writing my own, that's the route I'll take.
>
> The serial one should allow you to hit the maximum
> line-speed for your
> hardware, with no overhead for any extra protocols.
> So I would
> recommend using that one.

OK, I'll give that a go and see what happens.

I'm sure I'll have a few questions along the way.

Ron