Re: RFC: allow usb drivers to disallow USBDEVFS_DISCONNECT

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, 13. Januar 2010 01:02:42 schrieb Greg KH:
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 10:08:22PM +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
> > That would be a gross hack, but that would be the way to "fix" libgphoto2
> > .
> That sounds like the real solution, and not a "hack" as that is what you
> want libgphoto2 to do.

No, sorry Greg, I can not see that this is a real solution. It's a hack.

The critical point is that the photo lib should have no knowledge that the
photo device is a multifunctional device, and that the requesting of a photo
interrupts some other function.

What should libgphoto2 do if there are devices with countless other functions?
Should libgphoto2 be "enhanced" to check all these other uses? This is
obviously a mess. Please don't start this.

On the other side, the allowance of disrupting a webcam stream is a policy,
and this should not belong to the kernel. So I would vote for a sort of policy
userspace helper.

regards

Wolfgang
--
Wahre Worte sind nicht schön. Schöne Worte sind nicht wahr.

(Laotse)