Re: [newbie] Disconnecting of USB-device is not detected on ARM 7 using uClinux

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010, Rene wrote:

> > This is probably caused by a hardware problem (like, maybe the on-board
> > OHCI controller doesn't work right).
> >
> > Still, you can get more information if you build a kernel with
> > CONFIG_USB_DEBUG and CONFIG_DEBUG_FS enabled.  Under such a kernel you
> > should mount a debugfs filesystem, for example under /sys/kernel/debug.
> > Then after unplugging the USB stick, go to the "ohci" subdirectory of
> > the debugfs filesystem and see what's in the "registers" file.
> >

> Hi Alan,
>
> First of all, thanks a lot for your reply!
>
> This debugfs is very interesting. I had not heard of it before but it
> can be very usefull. I had already CONFIG_USB_DEBUG enabled, but
> yesterday I have built a kernel with debugfs enabled as well.
> Unfortunately no OHCI showed up, I had it mounted in /sys/kernel/debug.

The location of those debugging files has changed over time.  Since
you're using an old version of the kernel, you should find them under
/sys/class/usb_host/usb_hostN/, where N is the bus number of the
controller.

> I'll probably come back to this list (and in any case I'll send you a pm
> if I solve it). I would still highly appreciate it if you could tell me
> what the basic trigger of the disconnection is; Is it something
> electrical or is it at a higher level, that OHCI and usb-device can't
> "hear" each other anymore? (I know, I have to do a lot of reading, but I
> am very curious about this one.)

Disconnects are triggered when the pull-up resistor on the D+ data line
(or D- line for low-speed devices) is removed.  The controller sees
both lines go to a low-voltage state and interprets that as a
disconnection.

Alan Stern