Re: Query: synopsys usb device controller

Hello Alan,

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 8:39 PM, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Jan 2010, shiraz hashim wrote:
>
>> Any help on this. We think to achieve this (configuring endpoints)
>> with above info
>> through ioctl option in the gadget framework. Is it the right approach.
>
> The gadget framework does not include any ioctl options.

struct usb_gadget_ops defines an ioctl interface, although it used by
no controller driver. I just dont know clearly what is its purpose.

> Why is this necessary?  That is, why does the hardware need to know the
> endpoint's config #, interface #, and altsetting #?  How does it use
> that information?

The synopsys designware USB Device handles some of the commands on its
own. It never passes these commands to the application, further it
evaluates these commands ( I dont know why it applies such
intelligence) according to the above mentioned config layout, based
upon which it can even stall that command.
SET INTERFACE  is an example.

I would collect more information on how exactly h/w is using this info
and get back to you.

--
regards
Shiraz Hashim