Re: usb: gadget: automatic remote wakeup on hid write

On Mon, Oct 28, 2024 at 4:55 PM Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 28, 2024 at 04:09:30PM +0100, Bart Van Severen wrote:

> > > Do you see a wakeup request from the gadget to the host?
> >
> > No, I don't see any wakeup request towards the host.
>
> As one would expect, given that there was no call to
> usb_gadget_wakeup().

Correct

> > > Probably the drivers/usb/gadget/function/f_hid.c file.  I don't know
> > > anything about how this gadget driver works, but the file doesn't have
> > > any calls to usb_gadget_wakeup(), which means it won't generate a wakeup
> > > request no matter what you write to it.
> > >
> > > Alan Stern
> > >

> > That's what my initial thought was also, and that certainly works.
> > But then I wondered if it isn't a better idea to handle this further down, to
> > avoid having to write similar code in all function drivers, say in the
> > gadget core?
>
> The gadget core doesn't know when the user wants to issue a wakeup
> request; only the function driver knows this.  (For instance, only
> f_hid.c knows when there has been an hid write.)  And the whole point of
> usb_gadget_wakeup() is that it provides a way for the function drivers
> to tell the gadget core to issue a wakeup request.
>
> Alan Stern

Agree, best to handle it in the function driver.

Unfortunately, as stated earlier, the dwc3 gadget driver doesn't
enable link status interrupts.
That should be enabled again, so that we can test if the gadget is
suspended before
calling usb_gadget_wakeup() on hid write.
Dwc3_gadget_wakeup() does fetch and checks the link state explicitly
to return early
when in U0, so might as well always call usb_gadget_wakeup() on hid
write, but it feels ugly.

Br,

Bart